Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Bachelor Week 5: Best of What's Around

A wise man named Dave Matthews once told me, “Turns out not where, but who you’re with, that really matters.”

It’s true, which is why, for the first time, I enjoyed watching the Bachelor this season…because my girlfriends came over to laugh with me...and sometimes laugh at me.

It is also why the Bachelorettes had a miserable week with boring Ben despite being on the beautiful island of Vieques in Puerto Rico. No location could make Ben an interesting Bachelor. It truly is who you're with that really matters.

Mr. Matthews also once said, “Funny the way it is, not right or wrong, somebody's heart is broken, and it becomes your favorite song.” I guess it is funny, and it kinda’ feels wrong, that I enjoy this horrible show that leaves so many hearts broken. And this from a girl who has been there, done that, many times.

But, while ABC makes millions off these ladies, I'm not amused by their pain. As I watch kind, beautiful girls like Elyse and Jennifer Rabbit (I liked her because she’s an accountant), who were both eliminated last week, cry over a zero-personality Josh Groban look-alike, I want to sing Dave’s words to them through the television.

“If you hold on tight, to what you think is your thing, you may find you’re missing all the rest.”

So, get over him, ladies! I have never seen a man so boring with hair that suffers so intensely from humidity as Ben. The more time you spend crying over him, the more time you’re spending missing all the better guys, better friends, better everything out there!
Really, this is what they're crying about?


Despite their initial grief, I expect that at this point, all of Ben’s castoffs are celebrating with their friends as they view these episodes. They must now be relieved that they got away from him and are laughing at themselves for crying. Dave tells us, “Celebrate we will, for life is short, but sweet for certain.” Sweet, sweet relief. Go celebrate!

And they must really be over him after watching him “Crash into” Courtney after she asked him to go skinny dipping with her. Despite being on national television and despite having “real” feelings and a “connection” with eight other girls sitting yards away, Ben accepted. “I’ll drink your poison if you fill the cup,” Dave says. So Ben drank it. And he liked it.


Well, I don’t like Ben. But I do like getting together with my girlfriends on Monday nights to laugh about him.

So, despite this boring season, we’ll “Make the best of what’s around,” and celebrate the best thing about this show…that it brings friends together for a few laughs. And you, my friends, are certainly, the very best of what’s around…
…especially when you block my view from the computer screen so I don’t accidentally see the season’s spoiler alerts you were google-ing!

Until next week, this ant has to go marching...

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment